New York Public Library, Stephen A. Schwarzman Building
Reuse and Restoration: The main branch of New York Public Library opened in 1911 and was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1965. A three-year preservation project repaired more than 7,000 instances of deterioration or distress in the 150,000-square-foot facade. It also cleaned the facade’s Vermont marble and restored the roof, sculptures, bronze doors, and window frames.
Architect: Wiss, Janney & Elstner Associates
Cost: $48.9 million
Photo: Jonathan Blanc