Coming soon to Midwinter in Seattle - the ALCTS symposium
For Immediate Release
Tue, 11/13/2012 - 10:29
Contact: Charles Wilt
CHICAGO — Libraries and learners have long been engaged in a successful partnership. Never has this partnership been more important or wide-ranging than in today's online environment. From local public libraries to national and transnational digital public libraries, from primary schools to research universities, libraries increasingly provide for learners' virtual educational experiences.
In “Libraries and Online Learning: A Powerful Partnership,” a Midwinter symposium from the Association for Library Collections and Technical Services (ALCTS), attendees will learn to foster the strategic relationships possible between libraries and online learners.
Join your colleagues for this important one day event from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (registration begins at 8 a.m.) on Friday, Jan. 25, 2013 in the Washington State Convention Center – The Conference Center (WSCC-TCC) Rooms 301-302.
The symposium boasts the most highly regarded content experts in online learning and libraries. You’ll hear from:
- Mike Eisenberg, dean emeritus and professor, University of Washington, Information School as the keynote on “Online Learning and Libraries”;
- Karl Nelson, director of the Digital Learning Department, Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction, State of Washington on “Online learning in K-12 education”;
- Meredith Farkas, head of Instructional Services, Portland State University, about “Embedding the Library into the Online Learning Experience in Higher Education”;
- Félix Reyes, public instruction specialist, King County (Wash.) Library System, talking on “Services Strategy for Multifaceted Public Instruction”; and
- Jonathan Grudin, principal researcher, Natural Interaction Group, Microsoft Research, with concluding remarks, “I’m not sure where we’re going, but push the accelerator pedal to the floor.”
Registration is through the ALA Midwinter Meeting website. The cost for ALCTS members is just $219, $269 for ALA members. Students are just $99.
ALCTS is a division of the American Library Association