2012 ALA Student-to-Staff Program
Participate in the ALA Student to Staff Program!
Each Annual Conference ALA provides a great opportunity for 40 students engaged in ALA Student Chapters to participate in the Student-to-Staff Program. In exchange for working 16 hours for an ALA division or office during the conference, these students receive free registration, free housing, and a per diem for meals so they can attend meetings, programs, and events in their free time.
To qualify for the Student-to-Staff Program, the student must be:
- A current ALA member;
- A member of a student Chapter
- He or she cannot have previously participated in the program; and
- All students selected must be ALA members and current students during the 2012 ALA Annual Conference.
- Each school has its own selection process, and the chosen student’s name must be submitted to ALA by the group’s faculty advisor. One student will be accepted per chapter.
In exchange for working four hours per day at the conference from Friday through Monday (16 hours total), each participating student receives:
- Free conference registration;
- Free housing (with roommate); and
- A per diem for meal expenses.
Transportation costs (such as airfare and cabs) are the student’s responsibility! An official e-mail is sent to each student Chapter in December, with a deadline around February 1.
If you’re interested, find out how you can participate in the student-to-staff program at the 2012 Annual Conference in Anaheim, CA, by contacting your ALA Student Chapter for its selection criteria. For information about the process, contact Don Wood in the Chapter Relations Office. This program is only available at the Annual Conference.
Two things to keep in mind:
- There are over 60 Student Chapters, so when the message soliciting students to participate is sent, the first names received are those who will participate.
- At this time there are no volunteer opportunities at Midwinter Meetings.
NOTE: Contact information found on the ALA Student Chapters Directory is used to contact the schools each year about this program. Each school is responsible for helping ensure its own information is correct. Help ensure that this information is correct by submitting corrections. Please submit contact updates to Don Wood, ALA Chapter Relations Office.
Visit Join Your Chapter and ALA for One Low Price! to find out how to enjoy the benefits of joining both ALA and your state chapter!
For more information about ALA Student Chapters, visit ALA Student Chapters: Frequently Asked Questions.