For Students: A Challenge! The White House Petition on School Libraries
Ensure that every child in America has access to an effective school library program.
I urge each of you to send this message to your own student chapter e-list, encouraging everyone not only to sign the White House petition Ensure that every child in America has access to an effective school library program but also to broadcast to their friends and colleagues the necessity of gathering the sufficient number of signatures by the February 4 deadline.
As of January 30, we are 3,189 signatures away from our mark. This amounts to only 55 signatures per student chapter!
Here are two readymade Tweets:
- We love libraries & can get all 2,500 signatures for school libraries by Feb. 4! http://wh.gov/Wgd #savelibraries #ilovelibraries
- Ensure children in America access effective school library programs! http://wh.gov/Wgd #savelibraries #ilovelibraries
A few things of note:
- We’ve heard that the petition software is temperamental. If you cannot sign in on your first attempt, please log out and log back in. Or, try a different web browser, or as a last resort, try a different computer.
- This petition should not be confused with a petition begun in 2011.
- White House petitions must be authored by individuals, not any association. Therefore, Carl has introduced this petition as an individual, not as a representative of AASL or ALA.
Thank you for your assistance! Let’s get those signatures!
For more information about the petition, see the author of the petition Carl Harvey on the petition to the Obama Administration.