“Librarians are rock stars,” American Library Association (ALA) President Jim Neal said at the Closing Session of the 2017 ALA Annual Conference and Exhibition in Chicago. Judging by the myriad moments of energized, engaged librarians embracing their work, he might be onto something.
Attendees captured on camera, counterclockwise from top:
- Chelsea Johnson, librarian at Marshall (Mich.) District Library, tries her hand at steering a drone through an obstacle course.
- Jos Holman, county librarian at Tippecanoe County (Ind.) Public Library, reads from The Inner City Mother Goose at Stand for the Banned, a banned books readout.
- Alison Griffin (left), librarian at British Columbia Institute of Technology, takes a selfie with author Reshma Saujani.
- Ricci Yuhico (right), managing librarian for young adult services at New York Public Library, gets her photo taken with Librarian of Congress Carla Hayden (left).
- Jennifer Wilhelm, reference librarian at Bryan–College Station (Tex.) Public Library System, shows off her Dewey Decibel podcast button.
- Sarah Miyashiro (left) of the Computer Systems Institute in Chicago and Antoinette Giamalva, branch manager at Madison County (Miss.) Library System, learn to play Starfinder in the Gaming Lounge.