On Sunday, ALA President Sari Feldman called the first Council meeting to order at 8:30 a.m.
President-Elect Julie B. Todaro, chair of the 2015–2016 Committee on Committees, presented the nominations for the 2016–2017 election by Council of three Executive Board members (CD#11). The nominees are Vicki Morris Emery, Andrew K. Pace, John C. De Santis, Karen E. Downing, Kimberly Ann Patton, and Ann Crewdson. There were no nominations from the floor.
Feldman then announced the tellers for the Council election to the Executive Board (CD#11.1): Kent Slade (chair), Kathleen M. DeLong, and Bill Sudduth.
ALA Executive Director Keith Michael Fiels reviewed the Executive Board actions since the 2015 Annual Conference (CD#15) and gave the implementation report on ALA Council actions taken at the 2015 Annual Conference (CD#9-9.1).
A proposed resolution against Islamophobia (CD#32) passed overwhelmingly.
Fiels reported that there were 6,941 attendees and 3,879 exhibitors at Midwinter, for a total of 10,820 registrants; 10,552 attended in Chicago in 2015.
The meeting adjourned at 9:05 a.m.
Immediately following the ALA Council I meeting, the ALA–Allied Professional Association (APA) Council meeting was held.
The ALA-APA Council approved the 2015 ALA-APA Midwinter Meeting Council minutes and heard a report from Lorelle Swader, director of the ALA Office for Human Resource Development and Recruitment, on behalf of Keith Michael Fiels, ALA-APA Executive Director. In her presentation, Swader noted the following:
- The Certified Public Library Administration (CPLA) program, a post-MLS certification program, has 273 enrollees and 82 graduates.
- Three new e-courses have been developed and more are planned.
- The Library Support Staff Certification (LSSC), a professional development and continuing education program, currently has 495 enrollees and 135 graduates.
- This year, National Library Workers Day and Equal Pay Day will be celebrated on April 12, 2016.
Mario González, ALA-APA treasurer, reported:
- ALA-APA fiscal year 2015 total revenues were $183,338 and expenses were $130,787, resulting in net revenues of $52,551.
- The beginning loan balance from fiscal year 2009 was $275,000, and the ending loan balance of fiscal year 2015 was $105,000.
- In the first quarter of ALA-APA fiscal year 2016, total revenues were $41,244, and total expenses were $27,204, resulting in net revenues of $14,040.